Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sunday, March 16, 2008


Examination of Conscience—conclusion


8. You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Have I lied?

Have I sworn falsely?

Have I plagiarized or been academically dishonest?

Have I gossiped?

Have I revealed secrets or confidential information without good reason?

Have I ruined the good name of others by spreading lies or maliciously revealing their faults and sins?

9. You shall not desire your neighbor’s wife.

Have I deliberately and consciously permitted sexual thoughts about anyone besides my spouse?

Do I guard my imagination and senses?

Have I watched shows, plays, pictures or movies that contain impure scenes with the deliberate intention of being aroused by them?

Am I responsible about what I read?

10. You shall not desire your neighbor’ goods.

Am I envious of the possessions, abilities, talents, beauty, or success of others?

You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Do I love my neighbor?

Is there anyone whom I do not love or refuse to love?

Have I wished harm or misfortune on anyone?

Do I forgive from my heart those who have hurt me?

Do I harbor hatred or grudges?

Do I pray for my enemies?

Have I ridiculed or humiliated others?

Do I seek to help others in need?

Do I love myself as God loves me?

Do I care for my physical, emotional, and spiritual health?

Do I forgive myself for my sins after bringing them to God in the Sacrament of Reconciliation?

Precepts of the Church

Have I deliberately missed Mass on a Sunday or Holy Day of obligation without a serious reason?

Do I go to confession at least once a year when I have serious sins to confess?

Do I receive Holy Communion, at least once during Eastertime?

Do I take part in the major feasts celebrating Our Lord, the Virgin Mary, and the saints?

Do I abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent (for ages 14 and over) and fast on one full meal on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (for ages 18-59)?

Do I fast for one hour before Holy Communion (water and medicine allowed)?

Do I contribute to support the material needs of the Church?

See also: Knights of Columbus website, A Guide to Confession.

Throughout the year may we regularly and frequently make good examinations of conscience and good Confessions. This is the key to healing, happiness and authentic spiritual growth.

Fr. Stanley